I can’t stop thinking about the news regarding the tragedy that has occurred in the life of Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson. Her sister’s estranged husband is being held in connection with the shooting deaths of Hudson’s mother and brother. Her 7-year-old nephew was reported missing on Friday, and this morning, the body of a young boy was found in the suspect’s SUV. FBI officials have said they believe it is the boy they’ve been looking for. In all likelihood, we’re looking at a case of triple homicide, all because of a domestic dispute.
The statistics from the American Institute on Domestic Violence are sobering and staggering:
* 85-95% of all domestic violence victims are female.
* Over 500,00 women are stalked by an intimate partner each year.
* 5.3 million women are abused each year.
* 1,232 women are killed each year by an intimate partner.
* Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women.
* Women are more likely to be attacked by someone they know rather than by a stranger.
And this, from Africana Voices Against Violence, Tufts University:
* The number one killer of African-American women ages 15 to 34 is homicide at the hands of a current or former intimate partner.
My thoughts and prayers go out to Jennifer Hudson, and most especially, to her sister. Losing a child is every parent’s worst nightmare. I can only imagine the pain she’s going through at this moment.